Saturday, April 23, 2011

Art in the Streets


Interesting day. I made plans with Karen to see the newest show at the Geffin Contemporary at MOCA in downtown today. The show is called "Art in the Streets" and is an exhibition of of the history of graffiti and street art from the 70's to today.
I was pretty psyched to see the show and have say that it was a major letdown. I was expecting something different I guess.





This as the first weekend so it was crowded. Everyone was armed with a camera and where ever one turned, you were in some one's shot.
I thought the show would be a more linear exhibition of the history of street art and graffiti. Instead it was more abstract art by "street artists" and some performance art like the guy playing drums in the photo above. There were a few interesting exhibits, some of Shepard Fairey,Banksy, Keith Haring and JR. Others made Karen and I wince.
I met Karen at 3 pm but drove up early to spend time in the Toy district taking shots of the changing grafitti in the area.





I should have saved the $10 and just shown Karen my favorite walls.

The area I like to shot is east of Alhambra Street in the Toy district. Around Garey and 3rd Street are constantly changing walls.





This was part of a larger wall but I loved the colors and the Impala coming out of the tunnel. A lot of the graffiti in this area is about LA and the East LA scene.






















This is part of a larger mural by Dabs/Myla/How/Nosm in LA.





We bagged the show and went to Bottega Louie for a late lunch.



http://www.bottegalouie.com/

At 7th and Grand in the old Brooks Brothers building. Good food that isn't overpriced. The only thing I don't like is that the bare walls and floor make having a conversation extremely difficult. We were sat by the pizza ovens and ordered one to share. Hit the spot. Usually mid morning is the best time here. Not a ton of people and a good breakfast.





Got some earl grey macaroons for the ride home





































No comments:

Post a Comment