Monday, November 1, 2010

Houston

Spent this past week in Houston for business. Not the most scenic of cities but the food was pretty darn good. I ate at Antone twice.Fried Oyster Po'Boy!! Delicious

The oysters were hot and juicy and nestled in a soft bread bun with mayo, tomatoes and chow chow mix. I got a side of jalapenos stuffed with Pimento cheese as a nod to my southern heritage.


Everyone in my group was sent to different cities in Texas to do in depth store visits. Matt and I were sent to Houston, Mary Jane to San Antonio, Charles to Austin and Rick and John went to Dallas. Everyone likes to eat and send each other shots of lunch or dinner and Pappasitos was a stop on every one's list this trip.
I have a soft spot for Pappasitos since it is the same concept that Chevys was when I first started working for that company in the early '90s. The Simmons family bought the catina concept idea from the Pappas brothers and opened up in the Bay area. The food,service, plating et al was exactly the same in a Chevys as it was in a Pappasitos when I started working for Chevys. A visit to the Pappasitos always brings back memories of what once was until Pepsico and others destroyed the concept.
Matt and I headed over on our last night for dinner and started with chips and salsa. Service was somewhat crappy but the food was terrific.

Half and half fajitas with guac and pico. The tortillas were wonderful as well,fresh, hot and just off the press. Rice and beans ala charra and I was a happy camper. Matt was too until he got a call from his credit card company the next day that someone at Pappasitos tried to charge $5000 on his card. That's a lot of fajitas.

No comments:

Post a Comment